Part 1: You Are in Charge - God’s Guidance for the Nurturing of Our Children
God’s Guidance for the Nurturing of Our Children
Week 1: “You Are in Charge”
Introduction: Download Worksheet
1. Kids do come with a how-to manual!
2. Our foundational truths:
a. Marriage and family are created and ordained by God
b. His instructions and guidance are of utmost importance
c. The Bible is the infallible Word of God and “sufficient” for us.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work
3. The structure of the class
A. You Are in Charge
1. Parents are handicapped today because they do not know their God assigned role.
2. God’s way is better
a. God’s world functions through authority…loving, compassionate, strong, protective
b. This provides structure for human flourishing
Romans 13:1-2 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.
3. Ephesians 6:1-4
a. Children are to obey parents
b. Children are to obey parents…in the Lord
c. Children are to honor their parents
d. If they obey…they will be blessed…be safe…flourish
e. Fathers (parents):
1.) “Bring them up” Ephesians 5:29
“nourish” …nurture…provide what is necessary for their well-being, growth and development
oversee, direct, guide their development
4.) “of the Lord”
B. “My First Word Is My Last Word”
1. Illustration: Johnny in the sand box
2. Obedience when a parent speaks…in a normal voice…not raised, yelling, threatening
3. “Slow Obedience is No Obedience”
a subtle for of manipulation and control
Proverbs 10:26 As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes,
So is the lazy man to those who send him.
4. With no signs of disrespect
5. Occasionally may respectfully ask for an extension
Application: “How Do We Get There from Here???”
1. Start with teaching your children from the Word of God
2. Explain to them exactly what this is going to look like
3. If other patterns have prevailed:
Be patient…extend grace…warn/instruct (admonition)
Firmly press forward
4. After the above preparation time…institute the new practice
Discipline: with a form that makes obedience the better choice
Ephesians 6:1-4 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise: 3 “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.” 4 And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.